четверг, 13 декабря 2012 г.

Salad — An Amusing Musing of a Former SAHM

By Estel Kempf

No party is any fun unless seasoned with folly.
~Desiderius Erasmus

For many years, I worked in my home raising my three girls and caring for my husband. I am ninety-three years old now, a grandmother of seven and great-grandmother of six. Many things have changed for women who stay home to raise their families. There are conveniences we did not imagine, hectic schedules that would have been impossible fifty years ago. And yet some things are exactly the same.
Being at home all day, I rarely had an opportunity to get dressed up. But one Christmas, my husband and I were invited to attend a gala. I wanted to look very elegant to impress the high society friends who had invited me out. I got a fancy hairdo, bought a fancy dress and shoes. It was a whole new me. I looked and felt gorgeous and was eager for a good time.

When I arrived at the club where the party was being held, the weather suddenly changed to a windy sleet storm. As I got out of the car, I immediately fell into a puddle. I got up and kept walking, but my fancy high heels would not support me and I kept falling with every step, giving in to the wind. I felt very undignified, grasping bushes to aid me as I crawled up the icy driveway. When I finally made it to the top, I entered, soaked and disheveled.

Giving up on the chance to be glamorous, I instead sat at a corner table to be inconspicuous. When dinner was served, an inexperienced waiter approached our table, and then tripped as he began to serve us. Two large platters of salad slid down my head into my strapless gown. The partygoers were overcome with laughter as I stood up, oil and vinegar dripping from my face while I extricated lettuce and tomatoes from my bosom. It was a rare night for me as a housewife. And while my impromptu performance wasn't elegant, I know I made quite an impression!
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий