вторник, 18 декабря 2012 г.

A Child's Gift of Love

By D. Kinza Christenson

A daughter is a gift of love.
~Author Unknown

It always seemed like having traditions was a good thing. They create memories that will last a lifetime. So when our children, David and Darla, were preschoolers we started a family Christmas tradition. It was our tree-trimming party and it would be complete with eggnog and pfeffernüsse cookies.
The kids were excited as we hauled the freshly cut tree into the house. It smelled so good. The ornament boxes were brought up from the basement. We would turn on the Christmas carols and the tree trimming would begin. The routine was always the same: First the lights — oh, how they'd sparkle; then the ornaments — each child had favorites. This was followed by the precise (or not) draping of some beads, and topped off with delicately hung tinsel.

Our hearts seemed to dance to the merriment of the Christmas carols. The kids' eyes twinkled with excitement and anticipation. It was a heartwarming, cozy evening. When finished, we would sit sipping the eggnog and snack on pfeffernüsse cookies as we admired the beauty of the radiant Christmas tree.

Years later, when my daughter, Darla, was home from college, she offered to help trim the tree. I was so grateful. My husband and I were empty nesters now and I wasn't looking forward to trimming the tree alone. With our daughter, the tree trimming was delightful. We turned on the Christmas carols. It was just fun being together, laughing and sharing the latest news of friends and what was happening in our lives.

Before we knew it, the tree trimming was finished. It was a beautiful tree and its fragrance filled the room as its trimmings majestically reigned and heralded the advent of another Christmas. As we had every year before, I brought out the eggnog and the pfeffernüsse cookies for our traditional celebration. It was always the highlight of the evening and having my daughter home in itself was a Christmas present to celebrate.

Then, amidst the laughter, Darla suddenly got very serious and said she had something to tell me. From her hesitation and body language, I knew she was dreading it.


I sat down on the couch to prepare myself for whatever this college student was about to say. She sat down next to me. I could feel my heart pounding in anticipation. Then very gently and caringly, Darla looked me in the eye and proclaimed: "Mom, I've never liked pfeffernüsse cookies."

Whew, at first I was relieved. Then I realized the absolute magnitude of what she had just said. Why didn't she ever tell me? All those childhood years, rather than hurt Mom's feelings and spoil Mom's tradition, she had endured the cookies in silence. From preschool through teenager years she never said a word. I hadn't realized it at the time, but from a child's heart, year after year after year she had given me the gift of love!

The meaning of Christmas really touched me that year. I've always remembered that very special tree-trimming night when the Christmas tree lights twinkled and our hearts glowed and my daughter taught me life's very important lesson: The best gifts aren't always found under the Christmas tree.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий