вторник, 8 января 2013 г.

The Right Track

By Debra Ayers Brown

When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path.
~Psalm 142:3

As the sun rose on another hot summer day, I crawled out of bed after a fitful sleep in hopes of pounding the pavement and relieving some stress. I couldn't decide what to do after the closing of the company where I'd handled the marketing for eight years. I'd loved every minute of it and had given it my all. Now, I felt lost.
There was no question about whether I had to work, just how to proceed. Should I work for someone else with 24/7 dedication like I'd done in previous positions? Should I start my own company instead? Would my creative abilities and writing skills set me apart from the competition as they had in the past? Would clients put their faith in me? Could I make it financially?

Doubts plagued me.

I hurried across the parking lot in the south Georgia humidity to the tree-canopied portion of the walking trail in the county park. Buzzing cicadas, rustling leaves, and the scent of damp earth bombarded my senses.

The majesty of the sounds, textures, smells, and beauty of nature usually soothed my soul, but not today.

I rushed past spiky palmettos, delicate ferns, and wild grapevines on the sun-dappled path. Magnolia leaves shimmered in the sunlight. A bird squawked and flitted from the ground to a branch in the trees, barely heard over the persistent croaking of tree frogs.

The moss-draped live oaks closed in on me. The cacophony of sounds jangled my nerves.

"Stop," I cried. "Just stop."

I wiped sweat from my brow with the back of my hand.

"What's the use?"

I turned around, backtracking toward my car. Footsteps from behind startled me.

A stranger's voice asked, "Are you familiar with 1 Peter 5:7?"

"I'm not sure," I answered, looking back over my shoulder at a tall, slender man.

He smiled at me.

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares about you," he said.

I returned his smile, but chills ran up my spine. Where had he come from?

As we continued to walk, he spoke of God's love.

"God has a plan for us," he said, "but sometimes we're scared and don't listen to him."

I thought of how my instincts had been pushing me toward starting my own company, and how I'd hesitated because of fear.

"He's with you every step of the way," he assured me. "Keep moving, and he'll guide you in the right direction. He hears you when you ask for help."

I had prayed for help before I got out of bed. Was this guy my sign God had heard my plea?

During our walk, he quoted scripture and talked of the importance of using our talents for God's purpose.

"We're all given talents," he reminded me. "Some great, some small. No matter what, we glorify God when we use them to further his kingdom."

We moved to the right to allow room for oncoming runners.

"God is interested in the passion we have for whatever gifts he has given us," he said with sincerity.

"Are you a preacher?" I asked.

"No, I just go where God leads me."

He prayed for me, and then he disappeared through an opening in the trees.

For the first time in a long while, I felt a bounce in my step. Starting my own company would allow me to use my talents and to follow God's lead. Excitement rushed through me. I put one foot in front of the other and breathed a great sigh of relief, confident I was on the right track.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий