пятница, 25 января 2013 г.

Backseat Driver

By Kristen Nicole Velasquez

Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for, without being seen, they are present with you.
~St. Francis of Sales

Six years ago my life seemed to be at a standstill. My faith was waning as I started questioning the painful events that had taken place throughout my life, even wondering whether God and the spirit world were real. I doubted myself, too. Was I a good mother? What was my purpose in this life?
I remember driving down the expressway with my four-year-old son, Dylan, headed toward Chicago with nothing but worries on my mind. As I drove, I asked myself questions. How was I going to pay my rent on time? Who was going to watch Dylan while I worked the next Saturday? And I reminded myself that my car needed an oil change.

Traffic came to a screeching halt. The freeway always jammed up just before the famous Chicago bottleneck, where basically four lanes merge into one. As my car stopped, I heard a voice in my left ear shout, "TURN RIGHT, NOW!"

Without hesitation my hands gripped the steering wheel, my foot hit the gas pedal, and I quickly steered my car onto a truck-stop ramp conveniently located directly to my right.

Seconds later I heard a loud squealing noise. I looked toward the spot where we had been and saw a large Cadillac smashing into the green car that had been in front of us before I swerved from that lane.

The entire back end of the green car looked like an accordion. I couldn't breathe. That could have been us!

The thought of almost losing my son or something terrible happening to him made me feel sick to my stomach.

I checked my rearview mirror, praying that Dylan was okay, as if we were victims of the accident. To my surprise, he was happily playing with his Spider-Man action figure making swooshing noises as if Spider-Man was swinging from building to building.

Still alarmed, my focus quickly turned to the road. My defensive driving mode kicked in. My hands gripped both sides of the steering wheel and I continued to watch my surroundings. What just happened? Whose voice did I hear? Were the other drivers okay? And how was I able to respond so quickly?

The voice had been that of a man's. It sounded human. And it was loud. It was as if someone sitting in the back seat on the driver's side had leaned over, put his mouth to my left ear and shouted those three words. "Turn right, now!"

I hadn't even given myself time to think or wonder if I was hearing things. I reacted instantly as if guided by someone else.

The only explanation was that an angel had intervened that day for two reasons. First, my son and I were supposed to be unharmed and on a safe path. And second, to confirm that God and angels do exist and that everything was going to be okay for my son and me. I truly believe this was God's way of getting my attention and helping me reconnect with Him.

Immediately after the accident, I quickly became a believer again. I no longer questioned my reason for living. Since then, life has become less complicated and I try not to sweat the small stuff. Although I may never know exactly whose voice spoke to me that day, I'm convinced it was my own guardian angel.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий