пятница, 25 января 2013 г.

The New Teacher

By Dorothy K. LaMantia

"For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD sends rain on the land.'" She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family.
~1 Kings 17:14-15

"You look like you've had a toothache for the last six weeks," said Nancy. "Are you okay?"
"Oh, sure. I'm just tired," I lied, unwilling to admit to a co-worker that my becoming a teacher was a mistake and that I doubted I would last that first year. Making it to November looked uncertain.

During the job interview, I impressed the principal and the English supervisor with confidence and enthusiasm — even when they explained that the students assigned to me would be difficult, and the program lacked a curriculum and books. The supervisor promised, "Don't worry. I'll mentor you. We'll work together."

On the eve of my first day, my mentor handed me a box of discarded books and said, "You might find something useful here." She paused, and then blurted, "Dorothy, I'm sorry. I've accepted another job. I won't be here to help you." She headed to her office to pack, leaving me stunned, though unshaken.

But Day One shook me. Teachers say the first weeks are easy, with students eager to make a good impression. My students' glazed eyes, sullen faces, and rude responses hinted we would have no honeymoon. Still, I believed my upbeat attitude would carry me. But it held no sway over kids biding their time until they could quit school forever. I shopped for motivational strategies and educated myself on teaching at-risk children. But the struggles only escalated. Within two weeks, a lump in my throat and a tightness in my gut were constant.

One Sunday, I was scheduled to read the Scripture passages at church. When I opened my Bible to rehearse, I found the assigned verses in Chapter 17 of the Book of Kings. The widow of Zarephath, expecting that she and her son would die of starvation, received this promise from the prophet Elijah: "The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry..." The knot in my stomach loosened at the words, "So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family." In those words, I detected a sign that translated into "Don't worry. You'll make it until June."

At school, the kids and the job did not change that much. But I did, as I claimed God's promise and faced each day with strength and confidence. Nancy even noticed that I was smiling again. Several weeks later, the principal stopped to say, "I am impressed. Yesterday, I stood outside your door. I never saw a teacher get as much out of those kids as you did."

"Thank you, sir," I answered. But to the One who is truly in charge, I prayed, "Thank you, God, for the graces to recognize that I only have the power to change myself and to know that with your help I can meet any challenge life sets before me."

My Prayer

Lord, help me be mindful that the little things I do every day when I am teaching others, I do for you. Thank you for allowing me to fulfill my spiritual gift of teaching and to become a better Christian in the process.

Amen.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий