суббота, 6 октября 2012 г.

I Married a Zamboni

By Kate Zamboni

There are three things in life that people like to stare at: a flowing stream, a crackling fire and a Zamboni clearing the ice.
~Charlie Brown, Peanuts

I was thirty-seven in 2009 when I got married. By that time I had an established career as a lawyer with the U.S. Government. Before my wedding, a number of people asked me if I planned to change my last name — something that has gone out of vogue for some women in established careers. My standard response was: "Wouldn't you?"
If you are a hockey fan, as I am, the answer is undoubtedly "You bet!" Who, in their right mind, would give up the opportunity to take the coolest last name ever — Zamboni? Not me. As a kid, I can remember eagerly anticipating the time between periods when that magnificent machine would come out and do what nothing else in the world can do… clean the ice methodically and perfectly. I remember my mom telling me the name of the machine was a Zamboni. Of course at the time I thought that was what the machine was named. I hadn't realized that Zamboni was a name brand, like Xerox or Kleenex. I thought it was the perfect name for the perfect machine. I love everything about the Zamboni machine: its boxy shape; the pattern it creates when cleaning the ice; and the beautiful shiny ice that it leaves in its path.

Imagine my delight when years later I met this wonderful guy named Zamboni. I loved the last name so much that I didn't use his first name at all. I just called him Zamboni. It was only after our relationship got more serious that I made an effort to use his first name, because I thought my family would think it weird to call my boyfriend by his last name. But that wasn't the case at all. When I first introduced him to my mother, she said: "So you are the Iceman." They hit it off immediately.

After changing my name to Zamboni, I couldn't wait for people's reaction when I introduced myself. "Did she really say her name was Zamboni?" But the reactions have not all been what I expected. Sure, if I'm in a hockey town like Pittsburgh or Boston there are signs of recognition. The most commonly asked question I get is: "Are you related to the family that invented the Zamboni?" My answer is "Yes." I have no idea if we are or not, but who am I hurting by claiming some relation to the inventor, Frank J. Zamboni? And, in a weird coincidence, my dad's first name is Frank and his middle initial is J.


I am incredibly disappointed when someone asks, "How do you spell that?" WHAT?? Who does not know how to spell Zamboni? Obviously not a hockey fan, I imagine. My husband had warned me that it happens more often than you would think. Something about the name starting with the letter "Z" throws people for a loop.

The second most commonly asked question I get is whether I have driven a Zamboni. My answer to this question depends on the audience, because there are two truthful answers: no and yes. No, I have never driven an actual Zamboni machine. But yes, whenever I am in the driver's seat with my husband as a passenger, I am indeed driving a Zamboni. One of these days I will submit a résumé to be a Zamboni driver and hope to at least get an interview for the job.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий