понедельник, 22 октября 2012 г.

Facebook and Faith

By Melanie A. Hardy

The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow.
~Bill Gates

My daughters were less than thrilled when I told them I was setting up accounts on any social media websites they visited. Like so many young people, they felt that these sites were for teens, and that Mom was simply too old to be tweeting or on Facebook. They didn't want their mom "spying" on them, either. I assured them that was not my intention.
Truthfully, I was a little concerned about some of the negative stories I had heard about the Internet. I wanted to make sure that my girls weren't giving out improper information over the Internet or "friending" anyone they shouldn't. I figured I would check their accounts weekly, but I wasn't really interested in doing anything else with my accounts.

After the first few weeks, however, this began to change. People from my past began asking to be my "friend" — my best friends from kindergarten, my high school guidance counselor, and my long-lost pen pal from England. A whole new world opened up to me. I reconnected with so many people who had impacted my life in a positive way, and I was glad to find out what was going on in their lives. Hearing about their careers and families, and seeing pictures of their children — all of these things were special to me and truly brightened my day.

One of the happiest days was when I reconnected with my friend Beth from high school. Her mom had been my sixth-grade teacher and had encouraged me in my writing. I was glad to let her know that her mom's encouragement had helped me pursue short-story writing. The more we talked, the closer we became. We bonded through our mutual interest in charity work, and after a while, we planned a visit to see her second cousin, Mary, and her family, who ran a Christian youth camp in Kentucky. They were in need of clothing, kitchen equipment, and financial contributions, and we began to gather these items in anticipation of our trip.

Several months later, my daughter Blakely and I pulled up to Beth's house in Memphis, Tennessee. Even though we had not seen each other in thirty years, the time flew away as soon as we saw each other. We packed my car to the brim with our donations and headed out to rural Kentucky. I don't think we stopped talking, laughing, and catching up during the entire thirteen-hour drive.

When we finally arrived at the camp, Beth's family greeted us with open arms. Tired but happy, we unloaded the car and were touched by their excitement at seeing our gifts. I was thrilled to have so many new friends.

Our weekend flew by with an auction to benefit the camp and a delicious dinner. Mary and her children sang, played musical instruments, and gave us a tour of their town. We were sad to leave, but felt enriched and blessed by the experience. I gained many more Facebook friends as a result of my visit.

By that point, Facebook had become more to me than just a social site. I realized how much of an impact it had had on me and the people I knew. The power of faith had reached the digital age. Whenever someone in my circle needed prayer or had a sick family member, I began to send messages of support. I decided to spread love, positive quotes, and uplifting comments on my profile on a daily basis — hoping to share my faith in a higher power with my friends. Faith had ceased to become just a personal experience. It had become amplified when shared with others. I was truly surprised to connect with people via the Internet on such a spiritual level.

The greatest blessing I witnessed online happened while we were planning my high school class's thirty-year reunion. Two best friends from school found each other via Facebook. One was in need of a kidney transplant, and the other was a perfect match as a donor. I was privileged to assist them before and during their surgery by providing food, babysitting services, moral support, and prayers. Our entire high school class held a fundraiser to assist with the costs of the surgeries. Facebook literally saved a friend's life! The bond we all established gave strength to my friends, and the positive messages posted online gave them much needed encouragement and aided in the recovery process. We truly bolstered each other with faith.

I originally got on Facebook to keep my daughters from becoming victims of the dangers I had read about. And while negative experiences can occur, I almost overlooked the blessings of the Internet and social media to enlighten people in a spiritual way. Friends who might have felt alone now have a family of faith to help them when they are in need, hurting, or lonely. The positive energy I have felt and sent through social networks has become invaluable to me and others, offering encouragement, and giving us all strength, love, and hope. It is not organized, nor dependent on a particular belief or denomination, but its effect on us all has been truly divine.

The Internet has become a place where I can encounter God through others. It is a place where I can teach and be taught, provide and receive counsel, and facilitate conversations, share experiences, and worship. When life pulls us in different directions, connecting online makes it harder for us to be pulled apart.

Facebook and faith might seem like unlikely partners, but I have truly become a believer.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий