воскресенье, 11 марта 2012 г.

Changing a Tire and Teaching a Son

Last week as I pulled into the parking lot with my son for his baseball game, I saw a woman trying to change her flat tire. I told my son I would get him over to his practice field and then I was going back to help the woman change her tire.

When I got back to the parking lot, nobody had stopped to help her. I went over and offered. She tried to be nice and said that she was fine, but I could see otherwise so I insisted. Besides, my mother as she watches me from above would have cut a deal to send a pigeon to deliver a “special present” for me if her son had walked by and done nothing. Another woman parked nearby and said she had some wipes in the car, as I was getting dirty from the tire. She waited for us to finish and then gave us the wipes. I could tell it made her feel good in her own way. There were opportunities for kindness all around!

The best part for me though wasn’t just the fact that I could help. It came after my son’s game was over. As he and I walked to the parking lot he asked me why I went back to help the woman. I told him that it was the right thing to do. When he said to me, “next time Dad I want to help you change a tire” I was reminded that our children learn kindness from us and I will not let them down!

http://www.helpothers.org

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий