вторник, 10 января 2012 г.

Reaching a Dream

By Jane McBride Choate

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.
~John Barrymore

Five children, with the oldest fifteen when the youngest was born, kept me on the go for more than three decades. Carpools and doctor appointments, piano lessons and Little League games, Cub Scouting and helping in the classroom. I did them all. And loved it. (Well, maybe I could have done with a little less carpooling!) Early in our marriage, my husband and I decided that I would remain at home with the children. I'm grateful that I had that choice.

Now, with our youngest child having graduated from high school and my husband and myself officially empty nesters, I have time to indulge in a few interests of my own. Writing had long been a dream of mine, most especially writing for Chicken Soup for the Soul. With the publication of its first collection, I had eagerly read the inspiring books.

Could I write a story for Chicken Soup for the Soul? The idea tantalized me, a much-cherished dream that propelled me to take a chance. I wrote a story, submitted it, and waited.

Mine was not an overnight success story. My story was rejected. I tried again. And was rejected again. And again.

I kept writing, kept submitting. When I saw a call for stories about what I had learned from my cat, I knew I had to try once more. Several months later, I received an acceptance. My story was going to be published.


My pleasure over the sale knew no bounds. I had sold a story to Chicken Soup for the Soul!

I continue writing, submitting to different publications as well as other Chicken Soup for the Soul collections. I receive rejections on a depressingly regular basis, but I persevere. Writing is my passion, my avocation as well as my vocation. To my joy, one of my children also enjoys writing and we encourage each other, sharing successes and rejections.

Writing for Chicken Soup for the Soul has changed my life as I realized the power of reaching for a dream.

http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий