вторник, 22 апреля 2014 г.

When You Least Expect It

Every perfect gift is from above...
~James 1:17
While sitting across the table from my friend, Nancy, tears rolled down my face and splashed onto my plate. “I don’t think we’re ever going to receive a baby,” I wept.
“You will,” Nancy comforted me. “When you least expect it, the call will come, and you’ll be a mommy.”
“It’s been several years since we applied for adoption, and still… no baby. The wait seems endless.”
“The waiting seemed endless for us, too. But then one day, when we least expected it, the adoption agency called and told us that our baby had just been born. Don’t lose hope, Debbie. The Lord will provide at just the right time.”
I hoped she was right.
After we finished eating, Nancy drove me home. Before I got out of the car, she reached over and put her hand on my shoulder. “Remember,” she smiled, “when you least expect it, your baby will arrive.”
“Thanks for the encouragement. I really needed your support today. It’s been a painful and difficult journey.” I got out of the car and waved goodbye as she drove away.
While walking up to our front door, I spotted a colorful package on the porch. I picked it up and carried it into the house where I eagerly tore open the wrappings. Inside the box was a beautiful pastel mug that read, “No mom is half as good as you!” Puzzled by this strange gift, I read the attached card from my husband, Tom. “Congratulations on your new arrival! Call me!”
I rushed to the phone and fumbled to dial the number. It was April Fool’s Day, and I was hoping this wasn’t a prank. “Tom, this isn’t a joke, is it?” I asked nervously.
“No, Debbie. I’d never do something like that to you. I have great news!”
I could tell by the tone in his voice that he was excited. “The social worker at the adoption agency called while you were out to breakfast with Nancy. Our baby is here!”
“Our baby is here?” I paused, absorbing the shock. “I can’t believe it. I sure wasn’t expecting this today. Is it a boy or a girl?”
“I’m coming home for lunch. I’ll give you all the details then.”
I couldn’t believe that Tom wanted me to wait until lunchtime to learn more about our baby, but I sensed that he wanted to share the news in person. To honor his wishes, I accepted his proposition. After I hung up the phone, I climbed the stairs and went into the smallest bedroom reserved for a nursery. When I opened the door and stepped inside, I wept. My lifelong dream to be a mommy was about to be realized, and I was overwhelmed with emotion.
For a while I stood thinking to myself. I wondered what our baby would look like. I hoped that our child would be healthy and strong. I thought about different personalities, hobbies, and talents, and I pondered those possibilities in my heart. I was so excited to meet our precious little one, but I had no idea what to expect.
When Tom came home over his lunch hour, he told me all about our blessing. We hugged each other excitedly, and then called our friends and family members to share the wonderful news. There was so much to be done before our baby’s homecoming. From decorating the nursery to shopping, packing, and making travel arrangements, our days were going to be busy as we prepared for our baby’s arrival.
A few days later, in the midst of our joy, unexpected trouble came. We had already decorated and stocked the nursery, packed our bags, and made flight reservations when we learned that our home study had expired by one week. As a result, governing officials gave us strict orders not to leave the state until these important papers were brought up to date and reapproved. That could take weeks!
By this point, physical and mental exhaustion had taken its toll, and I crumbled under the weight of stress. But the Lord was watching over us and saw our tears. When we called our local agency, it happened to be after closing. Even so, to our surprise, a very kind man answered the phone. He informed us that the social worker we had been working with was no longer employed there, but after he heard our dilemma he encouraged us. “If you can leave right away, I’ll wait for you and see what I can do to help.” After our interview with him, he assured us that he would move things along as quickly as possible.
We flew out of town as originally scheduled; however, we were warned not to go to the out-of-state agency or anywhere near the baby until all the paperwork was cleared. If we did, we would lose all rights to ever adopting a child. Once we got to our destination, there was more waiting and uncertainty. By this time, Tom and I had resigned ourselves to the fact that if this was indeed the child the Lord had selected for us, things would come together before our flight home. If it wasn’t meant to be, we would return empty-handed. While waiting and hoping, we made special time to pray and do some sightseeing in the area.
One week later, we returned home, and signs of spring were everywhere we looked. When we drove into the driveway, we noticed that not only were the trees in bud, but the branches were also covered with bright pink balloons. A large sign hung above the garage door and read, “Welcome Home, Mommy, Daddy, and Kylea!” Our hearts danced with joy as we carried our precious little girl up the stairs and into her nursery.
The moment I sat down in the rocker, Kylea snuggled against me, cooed, and closed her sleepy eyes. What a blessing! The Lord had answered our prayers. We had waited so long for a child, and now all those intense feelings of pain and discouragement suddenly melted away. The paperwork had gone through without any further glitches, and the adoption ceremony was beautiful. Happiness blossomed within our hearts and the reality of parenting hit hard the first time we heard her cry. She was indeed a beautiful little girl created by God especially for us.
The next day, I thought about our adoption experience and realized that God’s timing was perfect! Easter Sunday represents Christ’s resurrection and new life, and we had just experienced those principles in our current situation. I thought it was extra special that Easter was going to be our first Sunday together as a family. God’s ways are always right and wonderful, and it’s good to be a part of His plan.
~Debbie Schmid
http://www.chickensoup.com/

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий