воскресенье, 19 мая 2013 г.

Mud Puddles

By Denise Seagren-Peterson

The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful.
~E. E. Cummings

It was a typical spring day — overcast, windy, and cold. And the rain had just stopped so there were puddles everywhere. I was taking my son to the local Walmart. Shane was old enough that I didn't have to hold his hand with a vise-like grip but still young enough that I dared not take my eyes off him even for a split second. We were both in a particularly good mood that day. As a working mom, I was happy to spend some time with my son, and for Shane, it was fun to go out, no matter where we were going.
As we walked towards the store, I tried to steer Shane away from the numerous puddles in the parking lot. We managed to bypass several until we came to the granddaddy of them all, smack dab in middle of our path. Before I could stop him, Shane jumped right in the middle of the muddy pool of water. His brand new Nike sneakers were soaked. His ironed Levi jeans were splattered with mud.

As I looked down to scold him, I saw a little boy with curly red hair, a huge smile and big blue eyes looking up at me in excitement. There was only one thing I could do. I jumped into the puddle with him. My brand new Nike sneakers were soaked. My ironed Levi jeans were splattered with mud. As I looked down at my son, I was rewarded with his laughter. It was at that moment that I learned what I had forgotten so long ago, that jumping in mud puddles was fun.

As we reluctantly left our newfound source of entertainment and continued on our way to the store, I noticed a man in a truck driving by with a big smile on his face. He had been watching us. It was then that I realized that my three-year-old son had just managed to make himself, his mother and a complete stranger smile by giving in to such a natural impulse.

When I first learned that I was going to be a mother, I thought of the many things I would teach my child: love, respect, honor, patience, dignity. The list was endless. What I have discovered as a parent is that it is our children who end up teaching us the really important things in life, like taking time out to jump in mud puddles.
http://www.chickensoup.com


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий