суббота, 23 февраля 2013 г.

Two Pounds of Divine Intervention

By JP Jackson

Angels deliver Fate to our doorstep — and anywhere else it is needed.
~Jessi Lane Adams

There was a time I believed in coincidence. But that was prior to meeting my four-legged soul mate. Now, I am sure there is something much bigger at work in the universe. There also was a time when it irritated me to have people equate their pets to humans. Again, that was till it happened to me.

I had just been given a death sentence. At forty-five, a random virus had attacked my heart and left it functioning at a mere thirteen percent. Just like that. Active, working, raising kids one day. Being wheeled out of the hospital and lifted into the car to go home and die quietly a week later. What happened during that week is still a mystery to me.

Unable to take care of even the basics of my everyday living, I spent my days looking at cute puppy faces at various pet adoption sites online. Quite a contrast... someone who should be making her final arrangements, instead, filling every moment viewing and fantasizing about owning one of these yipping, yapping little furry balls full of life. Even I, the eternal optimist, knew this was the most ridiculous idea I had ever entertained. But I wasn't hurting anyone. And it filled my days and gave me hope. It became an obsession when I had nothing left.

The days stretched on. My test results remained grave. There was no improvement. And yet, I was still here. Sort of in limbo. Then, one day I received an odd and unsolicited e-mail from a woman who stated she had just the puppy I was looking for. What? What puppy? I hadn't made any requests for puppies (except in my mind). I was only window-shopping! She said she would be at an address near my home that Saturday and to please stop by.

Against his better judgment, my husband drove me to this mysterious location. I huffed and puffed up the driveway and into the yard where puppies of every size, shape and color ran with wild abandon. People were coming and going quickly and leaving with "puppy care packets" and their new additions. I still was a little mystified about how I even got here or why I came.

Soon all the puppies were off to their respective new homes, the yard was empty and quiet, and the woman turned to me.

"Can I help you?" Our brief conversation revealed that she had no idea about any e-mail regarding a puppy. I felt a little silly and more than depressed as I headed back down the driveway. It was about this time that a matronly woman emerged from the house and into the yard, wearing an old-fashioned floral apron. I offered a weak smile as we passed, and from the corner of my eye noticed a shaggy black and white head and little black nose poking out to see what was going on. I was immediately intrigued. As I got closer, the nosey little rag mop nearly jumped into my arms. If I had died right then, I would have died happy.

But my excitement was soon derailed when the woman said, "Don't take an interest in this one. She has severe heart problems and won't be with us much longer." What? Did she say what I think she said? Heart problems? Jackpot! My new "baby" was already in my arms and covering me with kisses.

After lots of grave warnings and signing of waivers, etc., my new puppy and I made our way to the car to break the news to the next naysayer. But jumping from seat to seat and right on my husband's shoulder, I didn't have much to do with convincing him. He was sold. So home we went. To our home that would never be the same.

And, as they say, the rest is history. And still is. That was ten years ago. Jasmine and I haven't spent a day apart since then. The vet never found a trace of any heart issues with her, and my test results began to show gradual improvement from the day I brought her home, and I am still here a decade later.

So, yes, I'm a believer in fate, divine intervention, or what have you.

Coincidence? Not so much.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий