вторник, 21 февраля 2012 г.

A Car Whizzed By

By Susan Forma
Many years ago, I attended Drexel University in west Philadelphia. On the weekends, we'd do what most college students do -- stay up late. When we would get our second wind around 11 or 12 o'clock at night, we would often drive into south Philly for a delicious Philly Cheese Steak. Most of south Philly consists of old narrow streets, some of them still cobblestone, with lots of small alleys between homes and roadways.

On one particular night, about five of us loaded into one car and went to satisfy our late-night craving. It was always busy at this steak place, and the line was quite long. Somehow, I managed to get my cheese steak before the others. Despite the many people at the window ordering sandwiches, I was alone walking back to the car. Many years ago, my cousin was hit by a truck, and it destroyed her face. Therefore, I always thought of Cousin Hannah and took extra care to look both ways time and time again before venturing off a curb.

That night, however, I thought I was just crossing an alley. I wasn't aware that it was wide enough for cars to pass through, and it certainly wasn't a usual thoroughfare for cars. Therefore, I simply stepped off the curb to cross without looking. As soon as my foot left the curb, someone grabbed me by the back of my jacket and yanked me briskly back. At that exact moment, a car full of teens went whizzing in front of me and down the alley. My heart was beating a mile a minute as I knew I had just escaped death.

I turned to see who had saved me so I could thank him, but I found myself alone. My friends were just leaving the order window with their sandwiches and were way too far away to have helped. I knew that some loving angel had just saved my life! I am so thankful that someone was watching over me.

http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий