пятница, 11 ноября 2011 г.

Make a Wish

By Jess Bunbury

All love that has not friendship for its base is like a mansion built upon the sand.
~Ella Wheeler Wilcox

I never had good luck with boys. I always seemed to wind up with the same types -- a bad boy, a player, or someone who was just generally careless. I would devote my heart and soul to these boys, only to be walked all over. You could say that I was lonely, which is why I always gave more than I received. But because of that, I constantly settled for whoever waltzed my way. I never took the time to realize what -- or who -- was right under my nose.

His name was Ashton and he was a year younger than me. He was a total cutie and lived just down the street. He was always my first choice when it came to hanging out with someone. I thought of him as my best guy friend -- nothing more. When summer rolled around and school was out, we became inseparable. Of course, my very outspoken best friend Stacey had something to say about our tight-knit friendship.

"Oh come on, Jess!" Stacey said. "I know you like him!" I crinkled my nose and shook my head.

"He's my best guy friend, Stace. I do not like him and I never will," I insisted stubbornly, flopping onto my bed. Stacey huffed, unsatisfied with my denial.

"Fine. I'm asking him what he thinks then," she said snootily, whipping out her phone.

I rolled my eyes. "He's going to say that he doesn't have feelings for me. It's a waste of your time. You'll see," I said stubbornly. Stacey ignored me and continued to text. Who was I to think that she would listen to me?

Soon after the controversial text had been sent, Stacey and I fled to the hot tub for a few hours. It was a beautiful, early summer night. The blanket of stars above was gleaming and illuminating the dark earth. Stacey was chatting away about the latest gossip, but all I could think about was the text she had sent Ashton. "Could you ever have feelings for Jess?" is what the life-changing text read. Originally I thought nothing of it. However, the longer we soaked, the more my curiosity grew.

After the hot tub, we went inside and plopped down onto my bed. I smiled and closed my eyes but was quickly disrupted by a sharp gasp.

"Oh my goodness, Jess!" Stacey shouted, shooting upward into a sitting position. My heart rate sped up and my eyes widened when I realized what she was gasping about. She was staring at her cell phone, her mouth wide open.

"He said yes! He has feelings for you!" Stacey screamed, bouncing up and down on my bed. "Look!" she exclaimed stuffing her phone in my face. Sure enough, written simply across the screen were three letters: Y-E-S.

I tried hard to swallow the lump in my throat. My mind was a complete vortex of scattered thoughts. My best guy friend was in love with me? I felt dizzy and sick to my stomach. I was officially faced with a tricky situation. I could pretend that I never saw the text and continue on as friends with Ashton, or I could risk losing my dear friend and take a chance with him. Many say that the best relationships are born from friendship. Did I have the guts, not to mention the right feelings for this boy, to go through with this?

Over the next week I kept my distance from him, but we spent more time than usual texting and talking on the phone. I pretended to be oblivious to the entire situation and luckily Stacey managed to keep it secret that I knew about his feelings.

Ashton and I ended up hanging out a week after the truth had gotten out. It was a beautiful night. The air was warm and fresh; the stars were so bright that it was hardly dark. We sat on a hill in front of my house, talking about pretty much everything. After a moment of awkward silence, he spoke softly. "Jess, look... I need to tell you something," he said, and paused for a second. "I have feelings for you. I have for a while now." He bowed his head bashfully.

I smiled and looked at him. Despite the darkness I just knew he was blushing. I considered acting surprised but giggled instead. "I know," I said shyly. He looked at me and grinned, getting up to walk me to my front door.

Once we got on my porch he stood facing me, a wide smile plastered across his face. "Goodnight, Jess," he whispered, squeezing my arm. He leaned in and planted a kiss on my mouth, then turned to head home. When I stepped inside I couldn't stop smiling and almost fell over with happiness.

The next few weeks were spent with Ashton as we grew closer and fonder. We spent most days together and nights were spent stargazing until the wee hours of the morning. After some time he asked me to be his girlfriend, and I gladly agreed.

Ashton and I developed a habit of saying, "make a wish," every time the clock struck 11:11. This habit originated during our days as friends but became something else while we were a couple. Before we were dating, we both used to secretly wish for things to work out between us. Whether we had fate to thank, or our strong belief in 11:11, things fell together perfectly. There isn't a moment that I regret falling in love with my friend.

http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий