вторник, 22 ноября 2011 г.

Knight in Shining Armor

By Lil Blosfield

To find someone who will love you for no reason, and to shower that person with reasons, that is the ultimate happiness.
~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

Ted was a friend of my very best friend, Barb, who often told me hysterical stories about Ted's escapades. One day, I agreed to meet Barb at the establishment where Ted bartended on a part-time basis. Ted and I were introduced and shared many a laugh. That was not when I fell in love -- although Ted would tell you that it was exactly the time that he did!

Since we had shared so many laughs and so much fun, Ted and I began dating. At that same time, I had just switched jobs. Unfortunately, after starting with my new employer, I came down with an atrocious head cold.

I got up for work one morning, feeling more like the walking dead than someone heading off to a workday full of challenges. I realized that having been at my new job less than a month it probably wouldn't be a brilliant decision to call in sick, so I persevered and forced my sneezing, feverish body into my office.

Ted was working the night shift at a local manufacturing firm. He would be finishing his workday as I was beginning mine. He called me before he went to sleep to see if I would like to meet him for dinner.

Ted immediately understood why I declined when he heard my voice, with my scratchy throat and tremendously congested nose, along with frequent coughing. I replied, "I'll be lucky to make it through this day and if I do, I'm planning to collapse under a warm blanket on my couch." I thanked him for the kind invitation and said I'd talk to him later.

I assumed that Ted would go to sleep while I continued my struggle to make it through my workday. But shortly after midday I received a call from our security downstairs. "Lil, you have a visitor." He didn't even give me the chance to question who my "visitor" might be. I had no idea if, in my clogged and muddled state, I had forgotten an appointment.

I dragged myself to the stairway to open the door, and as I walked onto the landing, I looked down and there was Ted, charging up the stairwell. I immediately envisioned the movie Pretty Woman when Miss Vivian speaks of dreaming of her knight charging up on a white stallion to save her from her imprisonment in a castle tower.

Okay, he was not riding to my rescue, but he did have a crock of homemade chicken noodle soup. He was taking every step ever so carefully so as not to spill a drop. It was somewhat difficult not to laugh aloud at the intense concentration on Ted's face.

Not only had Ted foregone his sleep, he had gone to the store, purchased groceries, and toiled in the kitchen making this soup from scratch. To make it even more incredible, my office was forty minutes from Ted's home through a fair amount of traffic. Yet, he made the journey balancing this hot soup in the car. He even brought crackers.

That was the moment I fell in love.

Over nearly twenty years of marriage, there have certainly been times when I have wanted to pour chicken soup over Ted's head, but then I think back and remember that special day in the stairwell. Homemade chicken noodle soup has become not only a comfort food, but also a dear symbol of my husband's love for me. I've made what seems like millions of meals for us over the years, from traditional mashed potatoes and meatloaf to glorious holiday feasts. Yet none can surpass my knight coming to my rescue with steaming hot chicken soup. That was truly a recipe made entirely with love.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий