воскресенье, 10 октября 2010 г.

Time for Myself

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Devotional Stories for Mothers

BY: Susan M. Heim

"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength..."
~Isaiah 30:15


My husband and I both work from home. We have four children, so the times when I am alone in the house are few and far between. Like many work-at-home moms, when I do get a chance to be by myself, I fill that time with more work, whether it's related to my career or taking care of the household chores. Most of the time, I don't mind. After all, I wanted this "gig" as wife and mother, and I knew from the start that it often entailed putting others' needs before my own. But, other times, I can't help but feel a little resentful.

One day, things really came to a head. My husband was heading out to the gym, just assuming I had nothing to do but watch the twins. My older boys were making plans with their friends without consulting me -- plans that involved having me drive them quite a distance from home. The twins, being young, wanted my undivided attention. Even my work clients seemed to be more demanding that day. Nobody bothered to ask if I might have plans of my own. But, the truth was, I rarely did have any plans for myself, and everyone knew it. My life revolved around them, and they took advantage of that.

The next day, when the kids were at school, I headed for the movie theater -- alone. I'd never been to the movies alone before, so I was a little nervous. Would I look pitiful going to the theater by myself? Was I being frivolous by seeing a movie when so much work awaited me at home? I forced myself to swallow these thoughts and buy myself a ticket. And then I walked into the theater with my head held high and enjoyed every minute of the movie. I laughed and felt my good spirits return. For a couple of hours, I was nobody's wife or mother. I was just myself.

From that point on, I decided that Fridays would be mine, at least for a couple of hours. Some Fridays, I head to the beach with a good book. Other Fridays, I go shopping and indulge in a little "retail therapy." I may pick up a little fast food or a gourmet coffee just for myself. I really look forward to my Fridays after a long week of caring for my family.

By forcing myself to slow down and put the needs of my family out of my mind (well, almost), I also feel closer to my Creator. Sitting alone on the beach, I'm not focused on the children's safety around the water. I'm drinking in God's majesty and feeling his Spirit in the air and the waves around me. Even at the theater, I think about what God might be trying to teach me through the story I'm seeing. When I buy myself a yummy treat, I thank God for being able to savor His bounty and for always providing for my needs. I realize that I'm not solely responsible for caring for my family. God is taking care of all of us; I don't need to do it all myself. And He is taking care of me when I'm feeling overwhelmed or overburdened. I just need to remember to carve out time to be with Him -- alone.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Inspiration/Chicken-Soup-For-The-Soul/2010/10/Time-for-Myself.aspx?source=NEWSLETTER&nlsource=49&ppc=&utm_campaign=DIBSoup&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_term=mail.ru

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий