воскресенье, 7 марта 2010 г.

The Doughnut Disaster

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Devotional Stories for Women

BY: Karen Talcott

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.
Romans 14:17-18


I promised my children that we were going to make homemade doughnuts one Saturday morning. I dusted off my Betty Crocker cookbook and found a recipe for cake doughnuts. Luckily, I had all the ingredients in our pantry and began the process in anticipation.


Now, anytime you try to cook with three young helpers, there is going to be some chaos involved. Things are going to spill, messes are going to be made, and some fairness issues will have to be worked out. It is during these moments that I realize I have some control issues.


I wanted this to be a wonderful bonding time with my children, as we filled the kitchen with the fragrant smells of cinnamon and sugar. But it soon became more about who had a turn mixing and pouring in the ingredients.


Then when it came time to cook the doughnuts, my children decided they were done and proceeded to watch TV. I cooked up the remaining doughnuts and then presented them with great flourish on a plate. Each child took one bite and then expressed that they didn't taste like Dunkin' Donuts. Their disappointment registered on their faces, and I felt let down from the whole experience.


It was my husband who came in to rescue the situation. He said to me, "Do not focus on the end result, but instead be happy with the time you spent with your children."


It was exactly what I needed to hear. I had made a memory with my children that morning in the kitchen. I had passed down tips in baking that I had learned from my own mother. God was there in that moment as He is there in all the moments, great and small. The experience changed in my mind, and I was able to see the humor and the love that were there all the time.


PRAYER: God, how wonderful you are to give us so many pleasures in this lifetime. Help me each day to find humor in situations that seem frustrating and always remain in your loving service. Amen.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Inspiration/Chicken-Soup-For-The-Soul/2010/01/The-Doughnut-Disaster.aspx?source=NEWSLETTER&nlsource=49&ppc=&utm_campaign=DIBSoup&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=newsletter

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий