среда, 26 февраля 2014 г.

Cell Phone Madness

By Zulema Anahy Carlos

Everything in moderation... including moderation.
~Julia Child
"Surprise!" was the first thing I heard as soon as I opened the door. My family and friends were all gathered together. There were colorful balloons all over the house, a big poster that said "HAPPY BIRTHDAY," and of course a cake with a number 12 candle. It was a wonderful feeling knowing that I had finally turned twelve and I might possibly get the thing I wanted most.
I saw my mom and dad coming towards me with a small package wrapped up with really nice pink paper with flowers on it. When I ripped the paper and opened the box, I couldn't believe my eyes. I had really gotten a cell phone! I ran to give my mom and dad the biggest hug ever. "Thank you! I love you guys!"
"You're welcome. We knew this was going to make you happy but we didn't only get you this because you turned twelve, but also because you are doing well in school. We expect you to keep getting good grades."
"Of course I will!" I said confidently.
As soon as I got to school the next morning I was showing off my phone and asking everyone for their number. It was cool how I got so many contacts on the first day.
It felt like I didn't even exist in that class anymore. I wouldn't pay much attention to the teachers because I was too busy on my phone. Luckily, I didn't get caught using it.
I'm pretty sure that the teacher did notice that I stopped paying attention to her because a week later we took a test and I failed. To make matters worse, my mom had to sign the test.
It was hard to show my mom the test. She was used to seeing A's and B's on my tests. Well eventually I showed her and she couldn't believe it. She was angry but most of all, she was disappointed. Seeing her like that made me feel bad.
Weeks passed and my dad started to dislike the fact that I had a phone. We would argue every day about why phones are bad for us. He would say, "Anahy, can you please stop texting?"
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive for Kids
"I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm just texting my friends. I don't think there is a reason for you to get mad."
"I don't mind if you text your friends, but don't do it when someone is talking to you, when you are eating, doing homework, or when we have guests. It's rude."
My mom also joined the conversation "Anahy, I have also noticed that you never pay attention to us, your brother or sister. It's like you have your own little world now and we don't communicate as much with your phone between us."
I acted like they were wrong but then I started to wonder if it was true that I was being impolite.
A week later I tried going a whole day without a cell phone and it didn't go that badly. My relatives came over and it was the first time that I wasn't using my phone. Everyone noticed because they were asking me about it. It got really annoying because everyone exclaimed "Wow!" Finally you are not using your phone." That day I had so much fun because I was actually spending time with my family and paying attention to them. From that day, I had a different point of view towards cell phones.
Phones really take you away from the rest of the world. When you use your phone you move from the real world to a technological world. I'm not saying that phones are bad and not to use them, but you do have to make some time to spend with your family too and not get stuck with your phone all day. My phone took away time from my homework and from my family. It also affected my grades.
I will keep using my phone, but I have it under better control now so that it doesn't interfere with my real life.
http://www.chickensoup.com/

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий