суббота, 7 декабря 2013 г.

Party Invitation

By Barbara LoMonaco

A man has to live with himself, and he should see to it that he always has good company.
~Charles Evans Hughes
I was excited. I had been invited to go to my friend's birthday party. Tori was not my best friend, but she was in my class and we did stuff together. And I liked to go to parties. I asked my mom and she said I could go, so I told Tori that I'd be there.
y, very best friend called. She and her family were going to Disneyland for the whole day. She invited me to go with them. Disneyland! I loved Disneyland so much. I really wanted to go... more than anything. I ran to ask my mom if it was okay. That's when my mom reminded me that Tori's party was on the same day. She said I couldn't change my mind just because something better came along.
I was mad. So mad. Disneyland was my most favorite place in the whole world and I loved to go there... and I especially liked going with my best friend. My excitement about going to the birthday party was gone. Tori's party would be okay but not as fun as a whole day at Disneyland and besides that, Tori wasn't even my best friend. I begged my mom. She said no. I cried. I sulked. I pouted. My mom still said no. What I wanted to do wasn't nice. It wasn't right.
I couldn't get her to change her mind. I tried every excuse I could think of. My mom explained to me again — once you accept an invitation to something, you can't change your mind and go to something else just because you want to do the other thing more. That isn't nice. She asked me to think about how I would feel if someone did that to me. If someone had said they'd come to my party and then, because something better came along, they changed their minds and didn't come, how would I feel? I thought about it. Although I didn't want to admit it, my mom was right. It would hurt my feelings if someone did that to me. Although I didn't want to, I told my best friend that I wouldn't be able to go to Disneyland with her.
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive for Kids
So my friend and her family went to Disneyland and my mom dropped me off at Tori's party. I did not want to be there. But something interesting happened after I got there. In spite of the fact that I had not wanted to go, I had a great time! We did stuff that was fun and different. We watched a movie that hadn't come out in theaters yet; we were the first people to see it and that was pretty amazing. There was a make-your-own pizza contest. We each got a piece of dough and then there were all of these toppings to choose from. We all got covered in pizza dough, cheese and toppings. You're supposed to take a present to the birthday person and we all did. But Tori's mom and dad had a special present to give to each of us too! That was so cool.
When my mom came to pick me up I didn't want to leave. After we got home I told my mom all about the fun things we had done. She was so glad that I'd had a good time and she told me that she was proud of me for understanding why you can't just dump someone because something better comes along. Not only did I love the party and have a great time, but I learned an important lesson. My mom was right... as usual.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий