воскресенье, 3 ноября 2013 г.

It's Okay to Fall

By Pamela Millwood Pettyjohn

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
~Confucius

My strict parents were picky about giving me permission to join in activities away from home, but they usually let me go with the church youth group. I was so excited when Mrs. Burks, the church youth leader who planned most of our activities, announced we were going to the skating rink. I'd never been roller-skating and really wanted to learn how to skate. It looked like so much fun!
When we got there, everyone scrambled out of the cars and rushed inside. Some of us rented our skates and soon began lacing them up. We made our way across the carpet, held onto the handrails, and stepped onto the slick floor. Then, everyone but me rolled away from the wall and started skating.

Holding onto the handrail, I pulled myself along the side as I tried moving my legs back and forth. I stiffened up and clung to the bar as I began to lose my balance. Too late! I was on the floor. After a few more failed attempts, Mrs. Burks skated over to me and stopped.

"You need to learn to fall," said Mrs. Burks.

What? I thought the idea was to go zooming around on these roller skates — not to fall down! Most of the kids in our youth group and some of the chaperones were skating around the busy rink without falling. Many of the tables between the skating rink and the refreshment area were filled with people of all ages. I didn't want them to see me try to skate, fall down, and then get back up over and over again like a circus clown.

My knuckles on both hands turned white as I gripped the bar and dug the toe stops into the floor. God, please help me skate — or at least stay on my feet, I silently prayed. The smell of freshly popped popcorn made my stomach growl. Music blaring, people laughing, and the sound of metal wheels rolling on the hard floor filled the large rink. I tried to focus again on what Mrs. Burks was saying.

"When you start to fall, relax and go on down. If you struggle to keep from falling, you'll be more likely to hurt yourself," Mrs. Burks continued.

Humph! Trying to keep my feet from rolling out from under me had already made my legs ache. My arms were sore from trying to grab the bar every time I started to fall. At least I'd learned how to use the toe stops to get back up. Sweat made long strands of hair that had escaped from my ponytail stick to my face. A cold drink certainly would help my dry throat!

I wished I could be like everyone else. The other kids in the group were flying past me. I could even feel the cooling breeze they made as they went by. Some were almost dancing to the loud music as they cut across the middle of the rink. Others shouted, "Look out!" as they skated backwards. Even when they fell, they laughed and were soon back on their feet, skating again.


Mrs. Burks reached for one of my hands. I took a deep breath, let go of the cold metal bar, and grabbed her warm hand. As we moved away from the wall, she called out, "Get your balance. Glide your foot forward at an angle and then do the same thing with the other foot — like this."

I carefully watched Mrs. Burks show me what she meant. She made it look so easy! I tried to follow her instructions in every way. But I soon landed back on the floor. My feet in the heavy skates almost tripped someone darting around me. Feelings of embarrassment hurt more than my body. I struggled to get back up on my feet, hoping to skate a little farther this time.

"That's good! You're moving your feet like you should. But remember to relax when you start to go down. Let's try again," Mrs. Burks said.

So I did. Each time I tried to skate, I stayed on my feet a little longer. Learning to relax when I began falling was harder though. But I kept trying and finally began to understand Mrs. Burks' instructions.

When I began losing my balance, I immediately crumpled to the floor. Mrs. Burks was right! It didn't hurt as much. I was able to get up faster and try again. Laughing at how silly I must have looked when I fell made it more fun. Other kids showed me how they skated and encouraged me. By the time we had to go home, I was able to skate around the rink.

Our church youth group went back there many times. I kept trying to skate the best I could. Finally I was able to go around the rink without falling. But whenever I lost my balance, I did what Mrs. Burks had taught me to do.

Later I began to see how Mrs. Burks' instructions worked for other challenges. As long as I kept trying to do my best, I could learn something even when I failed. I could get back up, try again, and trust God would be there to help me — not only with roller-skating but with everything in life.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий