понедельник, 7 октября 2013 г.

A Wild Messenger

By Cindy V. Rodberg

If angels rarely appear, it's because we all too often mistake the medium for the Message.
~Eileen Elias Freeman, The Angels' Little Instruction Book
I do not recall why I went to the door and opened it. It must have been on a weekend because I was home during the day, not at work. I do know it was early in September of 1995, and the summer was finally giving way to the cooler air of the fall.
Perhaps I was going outside to get the mail, or I had heard something near the house and was going to see what it was. I can't remember. But I do vividly recall that when I opened the door I had a very big shock! There on the deck rail about three feet in front of me sat a small owl with large eyes. Our eyes locked, and for the next five or six seconds we both froze like statues. Then very quickly, this small owl turned around on the rail, unfolded his wings, and flew away!
I didn't leave the house. I was so astonished that I went back inside and sat down. I could not believe what just happened. First of all, that is the only time I have seen an owl where I live and I have been in this house for twenty-six years. I have cats that enjoy bird watching through the windows, so I do pay attention to the many types of birds that frequent this rather densely populated area. That's why I was bewildered, shocked really, that such an unusual bird would set itself on the railing right outside my door in the middle of the day.
I told several people about this encounter, not just because it was out of the ordinary, but the sensation I was left with stayed with me for a couple of days. The feeling was very much like one of those dreams that is so strong, so engaging, that it sticks with you all day long.
Shortly after this experience, some friends, family and I went on vacation to Canyonlands National Park in Utah. I had forgotten the owl incident. Our trip to the outdoors was wonderful but nothing out of the ordinary happened. We arrived home the first week in October, and on October 6th my father passed away at home unexpectedly. Just that day, my father had gone to the camping trailer to put away some items used on the trip. His passing was difficult for all of us. Several weeks later, I finally began to get back to some of my usual routines, one of which is reading.
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Angels Among Us
I had borrowed several books from the library, one of which my sister had recommended about Native American Indians, a topic we both enjoy reading and learning about. Although I do not recall which book it was, I was flooded with the same sensation and visual memory that I had during my owl encounter. The book talked about how birds, especially owls, can be messengers, often letting us know that someone in our lives is close to crossing over. It felt like someone poured something cool over me, hairs on my arms stood on end, and in my mind's eye I was looking straight into those owl's eyes all over again.
This lasted just a second or two, but it was then I knew exactly why I had been paid a visit from the owl. Soon after, I spoke to my sister. I told her that I believed the owl was a messenger, to let me know someone was close to leaving the planet. We both had most likely read about the Native American belief that birds and animals can be messengers, much like angels, bringing us information when we need it. But neither of us had put the two together until I read about it weeks later.
I feel comforted and blessed that somewhere, someone sent a beautiful owl my way in the tradition of a most honored people. And thank goodness they got me to read a certain book so I would get it. Which shows whoever synchronizes these things knew I would need help putting two and two together!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий