понедельник, 13 августа 2012 г.

Don't Overload Your Brain

By Stephanie Davenport

Do you want to maximize your brainpower? Spin every plate that comes your way and juggle all the jobs you can handle. That would have been my advice just a short time ago. I was a multi-tasking mama! My perspective changed after I was rear-ended on the interstate. As a result I suffered a traumatic brain injury that changed my life forever. During the first days and weeks following the accident, I used words inappropriately, my emotions were out of control and my memory came and went. The brain that I had relied on as a source of independence and strength was failing me.
I was prescribed months of cognitive therapy and rehabilitation that would eventually help me function at normal levels again. I was encouraged to use online math games and many organizational tools and I was taught to use constant reminders, lest I forget or lose anything because of my memory problems.

I found many of the resources provided to me to be invaluable, but from all of the lessons, one seemed to stand out to me above all the others. I learned that it was important for me to slow down and take my time while my brain was healing -- it was therapeutic for me.

As I reflected on this, I thought of how my teenage children get frustrated with our computer when it is running slowly. Instead of patiently waiting for it to load, they repeatedly click the mouse and other buttons until the computer locks up completely and has to be shut down and restarted.

I realized that I often treated my brain the same way. I would load it with multiple projects, deadlines, committees and activities. When it didn't perform, I didn't slow down my pace; instead I was likely to add in some form of self-improvement plan in an attempt to fix my brain. More times than not, I would encounter a season of burnout or sickness that would set me back much longer than if I'd simply slowed my pace. When I chose not to take care of my brain, it eventually caught up with me and required a shut down and restart, much like my overloaded computer.

I've since recovered from my brain injury and am back to work, but it's a constant temptation for me to take on too many tasks. Despite those temptations, lightening my load has not only been good for my brain, it's been a gift to me. Today, I am able to relax. I can simply watch a television program without working or reading during the commercials. I've learned that living in the moment is all about retraining my brain to focus on one thing at a time. Now when my kids have something to say to me when I'm on the computer, I take a break from my typing and look at them until they're finished speaking. Previously, I would've convinced myself that I was having a valid conversation with my kids. I say "no" to many more things than I used to, but I say "yes" to my family, evening walks, special projects that I'm most passionate about. I experience much more peace these days and I know my brain thanks me for it.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий