среда, 20 июня 2012 г.

Black Flags

By Ashley Townswick

For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.
~Matthew 6:8

I'd spent most of my time in pools over the summer and was a fairly decent swimmer. When I was twelve years old, my mother took my two sisters, Samantha and Christine, and me on vacation to Mexico. Since my father had died a few years earlier, it was important to her that my family keep a tight bond. There was a big gap in ages between my two sisters and me, but they didn't seem to mind me tagging along as we explored the area. We did bond and we had a fabulous time together.
The irritating part of the trip was that the entire week in Mexico there were black flags in the sand telling us to swim at our own risk. My sisters, young and invincible, spent one day swimming and enjoying themselves despite the warning and were absolutely fine.

"Give it a try," Samantha encouraged me.

"Fine," I said reluctantly as I followed them into the scary water.

They were so right. The water was amazing. I easily jumped over or swam through large waves. We had a blast together.

The next day we went back to our spot. Everything looked the same. The waves were just as tall and nothing really had changed. Or so we thought.

"Mom, the water looks great. Will you join us?" I asked.

My sisters added their encouragement to win her over. Before long, all four of us headed into the water.

It didn't take long to realize just how wrong we had been about the conditions. Partway out, where the water had only been up to my neck the day before, I couldn't touch bottom! I started swimming alongside Samantha.

The waves grew six feet tall. "Dive in Angela!" Samantha yelled.

"I can't!" I screamed, afraid of the giant wave heading toward me.

"You'll be fine. You have to dive into it," she coaxed. 

I jumped. I really had no choice. Under the water I felt pulled from every direction, like invisible strings held me down. I bounced off the ocean floor and looked up at a light above my head. I kicked and moved my hands as hard as I could but I didn't move. The breath in my body tightened as I started running out of air. The light was inches from my head but I couldn't reach it. I panicked. Twelve is a young age to think you're about to die.

It's weird how time slows at a time like that. I'm sure it was about a minute but it felt like so much more. I prayed, "Help me God! Save me!"

I was about done struggling and ready to give up when I felt something pull me up. I broke free of the chain that held me under.

"Are you okay?" Samantha asked as I bobbed out of the water.

"I think so," I coughed.

"We need to go!" Samantha said leading me back.

I swam for my life that day. As I neared the shore I saw my mother washed up on her side like a fish, scraped and beaten by the rocks. Christine was okay beside her.

I learned three valuable lessons in life that day. Always keep your family close because you never know when they may pull you through the storm. Avoid the Pacific Ocean when black flags are out.

And pray to God and He will save you.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий