четверг, 17 мая 2012 г.

Thank You Laura

By Alexandra Cooper

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
~Kahlil Gibran

"Alex, I'm here!" I hear a strong but innocent voice. Excited feet thunder down the stairs, and a girl with a big smile appears, ready to have an amazing day. My best friend Laura and I are spending our last day together before she goes on vacation.
The air is moist and our legs stick to the seats in her mom's car while we drive to Malibu. We are two thirteen-year-old girls in a car, blasting music and giggling. Two girls whose hearts have yet to be broken, with just the thought of summer in our minds. Life is simple at this point and there are no worries.

***

I look at my mom, and I am in the middle of saying something I think is important. My mom is clinging to the telephone as if trying to cling to the person she has just lost. I check the caller ID and see that Laura's mom called at two in the morning. I know right then that Laura is gone.

"Is it Laura?" I say, really not wanting the answer.

My mom's eyes look like she wants to say no, but the words come out: "Yes."

When I hear the word "yes," everything clicks. My best friend that I have grown up with and have spent every moment with has passed away. I don't want to believe it.

Laura was on vacation in Italy when she fell off a banana boat and hit heads with another girl. Laura was hit in the wrong spot, causing bleeding in her head. She was fine for several hours -- she just thought she was getting sick -- but when she went to sleep she never woke up.

It took me a year and a half to realize she was gone. From time to time I would call her cell phone and text her that I missed her, but I received no response.

While most girls were straightening their hair for some boy or thinking about their first year in high school, I was lost in the fear of losing everyone around me. I had to learn that things in life will never stay the same, and that not everyone gets the chance to live till they're old. One summer, one day, changed my life forever. I thought at the moment it would only change my life in a horrible way, but Laura's death also taught me many beautiful things.

I learned to appreciate the day and the people you are with all the time. I learned that life isn't fair, and it's not a bad thing. I had to realize some people's time comes faster than others, and in a way, I think Laura was more special because she finished what she needed to do on this Earth much faster than most people.

I am only nineteen, but Laura has made me want to do the biggest things with my life. I am hoping to travel the world and take care of children and help people in any way I can.

I know Laura will be waiting for me on the other side. That same smile will be there. And when I see her I will thank her, for lending me a bit of her magic.
http://www.chickensoup.com

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий