среда, 28 апреля 2010 г.

Clarity

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Divorce and Recovery

BY: Heather McGee

How beautiful a day can be

When kindness touches it!
~George Elliston

My husband and I finally came to an agreement to settle our divorce and I thought I would be able to get back to living my life and enjoying my babies.

Then, after I had given him substantially more than was his, he decided he wanted more. Because it seemed as if the demands would never end, my first thought was to tell him I would see him in court. However, I was so tired of living in this state of limbo and not knowing if things were ever going to just settle down and be normal again. The bad thing was that he knew that.

I was pretty sure that I was going to just take the deal and be done, but I called my attorney and said, "I have to think a little. I haven't had much sleep, so I just want to make sure that I am making the right decision. I'll call you at 3:00 to let you know what I have decided." I knew that any additional money cut from my budget would make my life and that of my children even more difficult.

I looked at the big, blue eyes of my children and said, "Let's go for a drive." My daughter was asleep before we were very far from the house, but my son enjoyed the sights. We drove to the scenic, southern part of the county where the road, shaded by the trees, rose and fell with the hills. The drive was relaxing and pretty, and I hoped that maybe it would clear my head a little. We drove and drove.

We had driven until it was about thirty minutes past lunchtime. "Baby, are you hungry?" I peered into the rear-view mirror to see if my son was nodding in agreement.

"Yes, Mama. Hungry, hungry, hungry."

There was a small town just ahead with a little restaurant that had always caught my eye, but I had never stopped. I decided that today would be as good a day as any to try the little restaurant that looked like a grandma's house. Grandma always makes you feel better.

"Okay. We'll stop up here and eat."

My daughter was just waking up as we pulled up to the cozy restaurant surrounded by huge oak trees. As we stepped onto the wide front porch scattered with rocking chairs, I was hopeful for a peaceful getaway.

We walked in and were told that we could seat ourselves. The restaurant was an old house, reborn, with many rooms to choose from. We walked across the creaky hardwood floors and through the rooms until we got to the sun porch that I thought, surely, looked like the happiest spot in the place. My son commented on the quirky decorations. "You don't put chairs on the ceiling," he laughed, and we talked about all of the other funny things we saw.
There was a table just off in the other room, but within viewing distance, where a group of mainly silver-headed ladies was seated. Some ladies were decked out in festive hats and others with rosy-cheeked smiles. They looked friendly and happy, enjoying a lunch date with their friends.

The kids and I ordered, and became enveloped in the little world we had stumbled into. We looked out the windows and talked about the green trees, the birds, the squirrels, and the soothing shade. I was very much enjoying our respite from the overwhelming stress that had consumed me the past couple of days.

The waitress approached our table. "The ladies at that table," she said, motioning toward the group of smiling faces, "Said they want to know all about that perfect mother over there with her children. Is your husband in the Air Force?"

"No," I answered, flattered by the compliment. I scrambled for how I was going to answer this question without making anyone feel awkward for asking. "He just doesn't want to be married anymore."

Her face looked shocked, and she said, "I'm sorry. I'll let them know so that they can keep you in their prayers." Tears welled up in my eyes. These days, people only had to show the slightest concern, and I fell apart. With much effort, I managed to keep the tears from tumbling down my face.

My children and I enjoyed our meal and lazily took our time. I knew that when we walked out the door, I would have to snap back to reality. The 3:00 deadline was quickly approaching. I didn't have the absolute clarity on my decision that I had hoped for, but at least we were enjoying ourselves.

When we finished eating, we paid our thirteen dollar bill. Then, just as we were rising to leave, the waitress came over and handed me an envelope sent by the group of ladies. It read, "Beautiful Family. Prayerful Good Wishes." I walked over to tell them thank you without opening the envelope. The bulge inside told me all I needed to know. Tears streamed down my face, and I couldn't even begin to control them. They had no idea the message that they had just given me straight from God. He is always there to take care of us, and sometimes He sends silver-haired angels to see that the job is done.

When I got home, I opened the envelope. Inside it was $72. I called my attorney and said, "I got some clarity on the settlement offer at lunch. I'll take his deal." I didn't second-guess my decision at all.



http://www.beliefnet.com/Inspiration/Chicken-Soup-For-The-Soul/2010/04/Clarity.aspx?source=NEWSLETTER&nlsource=49&ppc=&utm_campaign=DIBSoup&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=newsletter

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий